My Blog Followers

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

My miserable experience of development team

Hi all,

It was 9th December when my module’s code change was sent in the production for final execution. I was told to come 1.30 hour early in the morning because I had to provide support to my developed module.

When I was preparing for my self on 8th December night, my dad asked me “is there anything serious? Why are u looking tense?” I said “I am praying that nothing should go wrong, or else there will be a production abort and it will create huge problem for our entire team.” Then dad said “oh that means it is very crucial for your team” I said “yes dad. It is really crucial.” Then dad said “take care and work carefully.” Then I went to sleep.

I woke up early in the morning, I had bath and then I did my spiritual activities. Then I moved out of my home on time. Meanwhile I was thinking that nothing should go wrong. Now you all might be thinking that why was I taking so much tension. The answer is, it was for the first time I was taking my module to the production environment. And I was alone to give support to that developed module. Being a new member in the team, I was not comfortable with the technology also. And that fear was building more tension. After sometime I thought a bit, and decided if anything will go wrong, then it will give me more understanding of my work, I will get to know the importance of my work. And with this mindset I moved ahead.

In this thought process, I reached office on proper time. I called up my senior that “I am In.” and hence my job started. In the morning only I got the news that my modules cycle is delayed for some time. Then I thought it might be due to migration of module in production environment. But then I got the mail from my onsite coordinator that there was some mistake in the module, and he enlisted some changes which were not present in the development.

That mail increased my trouble. My offshore coordinator called me up and asked me “didn’t you do proper testing of your module?” I answered “yes I did.” Then he asked me “then why is he saying that there are some flaws in the development?” at that moment I did not have any word to describe. Few days back there was a same issue raised by my onsite coordinator, for some fields so that time I solved it. But I didn’t know that the same thing will be applicable to other fields also. And hence I could not speak anything. But anyway it was a small blow before the huge one. But for me a small blow was big enough to turn me down.

Hence after discussion I did the required changes and send the test results for the review. Then I thought “ohhh…. I think the process will get over smoothly.” But I was wrong. I think at 2 PM I got the mail from our production team that “there is an abort” my eyes got widen. I checked the error messages, and I found that there is a problem in the database it self. But then my off shore coordinator told me to do analysis on the abort. I wasn’t fully sure that my analysis is correct or not.

You all won’t believe, whole process cycle was more delayed due to my module’s abort. And I was in more trouble then my first code change error. As I was new to the team my offshore coordinator called me at his desk, and we started to dig up the problem. Slowly and steadily we came to some points which were making more sense to us. But we need to confirm it with our onsite coordinator. And hence we called him up on his mobile. He was sleeping at that time and it was 2 am at his place. But still he picked up the call and asked us “what went wrong?” then my onsite coordinator described him all the scenario and then they started doing the discussion on what might have gone wrong?

They talked nearly for 2 hours and 40 minutes. I was really surprised the way in which both the onsite and offshore coordinator were working in synch. It was like there was a harmony in their work. It was like they were on same wavelength, and hence they were able to figure out many issues of that abort. After really long discussion they resolved the problem and found the root cause of the problem.

It was a bit of relief for me. But there was one more big issue that we had delayed whole cycle for nearly 6 to 7 hours. And it could have affected our business. After that my onsite coordinator handled the situation and he restarted all the associated processes. After doing this also I was under fear that what if again the whole process gets stop due to error. But then I started praying god that please god, do not abort any job. During this work I didn’t know when clock ticked 11 pm. I was hungry because I didn’t have anything in belly, so I decided to go home. But in back of my mind I still had one fear that what if any abort comes. But after keeping faith on god, I moved out of my office at 11.30 pm in night.

I reached home by 11.50 pm. After entering in home my dad responded “Son, u really had tough day today.” I nodded my head and went to kitchen for some food. After having food, I again prayed and then kept everything on god and slept on bed.

But seriously speaking I could not sleep yesterday night. I was constantly thinking on the same issue. Then I woke up bit late and after daily morning routing I move out of my home for office with the thought that nothing has gone wrong. And seriously there was no abort through out night. And I was really happy to see that.

I was survived in this test by my onsite and offshore coordinator. They really worked well in synch. And they taught me how to act under mighty pressure and tension. During their analysis I was constantly observing my offshore coordinator’s work and his intelligence. And really, it taught me many principles of life.

At the end of this blog, I have only one sentence for my onsite and offshore coordinator

“HATS off to them!!!!!!!”

No comments:

Post a Comment